Tempura Mussel Recipe
Using mussels in a tempura batter makes the perfect snack! Whether you fancy a quick bite or maybe for a party, try this recipe and unique sharp dipping sauce.
300g cooked mussels
4 tbsp cornflour, plus more for dusting
4 tbsp plain flour
1 egg yolk
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
80ml ice cold water
For the dipping sauce
4 tbsp malt vinegar
Salt & Pepper
4 tbsp sunflower oil
1 tsp white sugar
- Heat a deep fat fryer up to 170˚C
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the flour, corn flour, egg yolk, salt, and baking powder. Whisk in the iced water
- Dust the mussels in cornflour and dip them into the batter mix
- Add the battered mussels in and cook for 2 minutes in the deep fat dryer. Drain on kitchen paper when cooked
- Mix together the vinegar, salt, pepper, sunflower oil, and sugar for the dipping sauce and serve
Top Tip: Try other types of seafood with this recipe including cockles, squid, prawns, and even crab sticks!
Big Prawn Products
Big & Juicy Cooked Mussels
In the Chilean Island of Chiloe in the South Pacific, we cultivate our blue mussels on hanging ropes in storm-sheltered bays. Chile is one of the largest producers of cultivated blue mussels. The Humboldt Current from Antarctica feeds the bay with plentiful source of nutrients and food, creating the most delicious mussels.
Tags quick recipes