Sri Lankan Crab Curry Recipe
This Sri Lankan inspired curry is full of powerful flavours of the island with chilli and coconut. It’s a messy one to eat, but the flavour is certainly worth it!
4 Big & Juicy Cromer Crabs (other types of crab will work)
5 tbsp desiccated coconut
1 inch ginger, grated
6 garlic cloves, grated
1 brown onion, finely diced
1 tbsp curry powder
1/2 tsp chilli powder
2 tsp sugar
1 tbsp tamarind paste
6 curry leaves
4 pandan leaves
2 green chilli peppers
1 can coconut leaves
2 tbsp vegetable oil
Fresh coriander to serve
- In a very large saucepan, add the oil and fry onions, garlic, and ginger on a medium heat until soft and translucent.
- Add the curry powder, chilli powder, and coconut and continue to fry for 2-3 minutes until the mixture is fragrant.
- Add the tamarind paste, sugar, and whole chillies. Stir in the coconut milk and season with salt. Bring the sauce to a boil.
- Place the whole crabs in the saucepan and coat in the sauce.
- Bring the sauce back to the boil and then reduce to a simmer, turning the crabs a couple of times to ensure they’re in the sauce.
- Check the sauce for seasoning and serve with fresh coriander.
Big Prawn Products
Big & Juicy Cromer Crab
Our crabs are caught off the North Norfolk coast using small day fishing boats and baited crab pots that are placed offshore.
- Previous Lobster, Bacon, and Sun Dried Tomato Roll Recipe
- Next Big & Happy Prawns Shortlisted for Award