Prawn and Avocado Crêpe Cake
The crêpe cake is becoming one of the biggest food trends in desserts, but what about making it savoury? Combining delicate prawns and rich avocado with a Mexican salsa in between thin crêpes creates a delicious afternoon treat – ideal for picnics and lunches.
4 large eggs
75g melted butter
260g plain flour
6g chopped coriander
2g ground cumin
150f cream cheese
1 garlic clove, chopped
5g chopped chives
2g chilli powder
200g coldwater prawns
1/2 lime, juiced
Salt and Pepper
1 large avocado, chopped
90g soured cream
1/2 lime, juice
Pico de Gallo Salsa
1 large tomato, cut in quarters
2 spring onions, roughly chopped
1 small red onion, roughly chopped
1 clove of garlic
Salt and Pepper
- Beat together the eggs, milk and butter. Put the dry crepe ingredients in a bowl and whisk in the wet to make a batter, then rest the mixture in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Heat a crêpe pan. Melt a little butter in the pan, then pour in a small ladle of batter and swirl to make a thin crêpe. Leave to set then flip and cook for another minute. Repeat until you have 15 crêpes and all the mixture is used. Stack them separated with baking paper and leave to cool completely, then choose a plate or bowl that is slightly smaller than the crêpe and use it as a guide to trim the cooled crêpes to perfect circles.
- Put the prawns in a bowl with the cream cheese and mayonnaise. Mix all together until you form a smooth paste, then add a squeeze of lime juice, salt, fresh ground black pepper, chopped chives, garlic, and chill
- Start to whip the sour cream, adding the avocado, lime juice, and black pepper to form a creamy mousse
- Into a blender, mix all the ingredients for the Pico de Gallo on full speed to create a smooth salsa
- Put a crêpe on a plate then spread with a thin layer of prawn cream cheese. On the bottom side of the next pancake spread a thin layer of avocado and place on top of the prawn cream. Repeat this process until the avocado and prawn cream and crêpes are used up. Chill for 2 hours.
- Cut into wedges. serve with fresh coriander leaf and Pico de Gallo salsa sauce