You might think that the vol au vent is a 70s canapé classic, but we’ve vamped it up with a delicious cheesy sauce and cheddar crumb topping for a main meal that everyone will enjoy.
1 packet ready-rolled puff pastry
300g smoked haddock
40g plain flour
120g cheddar cheese
120ml single cream
60g cream cheese
10g English mustard
Salt & pepper
For the topping:
50g cheddar cheese
2 tsp parsley, dried
Salt and pepper
- Divide the pastry into 8 equal portions and use a circle cutter to create 8 circles
- Cut out the middle of half of the pasty circles
- Preheat an oven to 190˚C
- Take the full circle of pastry and place on greaseproof paper. Brush the edges with water and place the cut out circle on top. Prick the base with a fork
- Take 1 egg and whisk together then brush the pastry with the egg wash.
- Bake the pasty for 15-20 minutes until golden brown and allow to cool
- In a heavy based saucepan, add the butter and flour to create a roux.
- Slowly whisk in the milk and when its a smooth sauce, add the cream cheese and cream.
- Bring to the boil and add the mustard, salt and pepper, and cheese.
- For the topping, melt the butter and add to the breadcrumbs, parsley, and cheddar cheese. Season with salt and pepper
- In the cooled pastry cases, placed 2 tablespoons of the cheese sauce then equal portions of haddock. Cover the fish with the breadcrumb topping.
- Bake for 25 minutes at 190˚C and serve with the remaining sauce.