Crab & Cheese Scones Recipe
Forget the debate between jam and cream and choose a tasty scone with delicious and rich crab meat accentuated with sharp mature cheddar.
225g self raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
50g butter, cubed and cold
75g mature cheddar, grated
80g crab meat
1 egg yolk
- Heat the oven to 200˚C and line a baking tray with greaseproof paper.
- In a large bowl, sieve together the flour, baking powder, and a pinch of salt. Add the butter and rub into the flour until it looks like breadcrumbs.
- Add the grated cheese and the crab meat to the flour mixture.
- Slowly add the milk and use a cutlery knife to mix together the mixture without overworking it.
- Sprinkle a worktop space with flour and pour the dough out. Work the dough into a rectangular shape and fold over the edges to meet in the middle then turn and repeat 3 times to add the layers.
- Roll out the dough until it is around 1.5cm thick and use a fluted cookie cutter to create the scone shape. Continue this process until all the dough is used up.
- Put the scones on the baking tray and brush with the egg yolk for a golden colour.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes and serve with fresh crab.