Bacon Wrapped Scallops with Fresh Slaw Recipe
For the scallops:
8 large fresh or frozen scallops
8 slices of dry cured smoked streaky bacon
8 cocktail sticks
For the slaw:
200g red cabbage, finely sliced
1/2 red onion, finely sliced
1 crisp pink lady apple, finely sliced
3 tbsp mayonnaise
Squeeze of lemon juice
Ground black pepper
Pinch sea salt
- In a large bowl, mix mayonnaise, red onion, lemon juice, salt and pepper until all blended together. Mix in the cabbage and apple then cover with cling film and allow to rest in the fridge until required.
- Wrap each scallop with 1 strip of bacon, securing with a cocktail stick.
- Brush each white part of the scallop with olive oil and season with a small pinch of paprika, salt, and fresh ground black pepper.
- Warm a grill pan on high heat and place each scallop onto the pan, initially cooking the white scallop part for 1 minute. Turn the heat down and cook the bacon by rolling around the pan. This will take about 4 minutes until the bacon is golden brown and starting to char. Turn the scallops onto the white part again to warm through for a few seconds. When cooked, remove the cocktail sticks and drain any cooking liquid to serve with the scallops.
- Place 2 scallops onto the red cabbage and apple slaw, season to taste and serve.
Top Tip: If you are using frozen scallops, make sure that they are fully defrosted before you wrap them in bacon.